Richland Library is seeking a strongly, service-minded manager for our Wheatley location on Woodrow Street. The Richland Library Wheatley is located in the Old Shandon neighborhood. This individual will perform professional, supervisory, and leadership duties as head of the Richland Library Wheatley. The individual we are looking for is a terrific communicator who understands the importance of keeping everyone on the same page. He or she will lead staff in effectively modeling enthusiasm and commitment to the Library’s mission, values, and strategic plan, providing the best possible example and model of excellence, both on the floor and behind-the-scenes.
Here are some of the things you would be doing if hired for this outstanding career opportunity:
- Managing a popular library that operates 58 hours per week while embracing Richland Library’s Vision, Mission, and Values, and applying these to daily operations.
- Coaching, mentoring, guiding, and effectively supervising staff honestly, directly, and consistently to achieve new levels of excellence.
- Actively engaging and managing staff, including initiating and implementing plans for employee development.
- Demonstrating excellent communication skills with staff, customers, community partners, and Richland Library leadership.
- Continually training and developing staff in areas such as exceptional customer experiences, product knowledge, collection management, and visual merchandising.
- Recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and retaining a diverse and talented group of staff and volunteers.
- Collaborating with other team members to develop and conduct programming that best serves the branch’s specific community.
- Exploring and cultivating community partnerships; participating in local organizations, community events; acting as a Library liaison to the community.
- Overseeing library operations to ensure customer experience standards; delivering an organized schedule and effective staffing.
- Demonstrating ability to learn quickly and to apply new skills and knowledge easily, including technology and procedures.
- Resolving complex circulation problems successfully; interpreting and communicating library policies and procedures to customers and staff.
- Answering directional and informational questions about the Library, including services, materials, programs, and initiatives.
- Evaluating and analyzing the branch collection as part of an orderly collection development process; maintaining current collection based on customer needs.
- Analyzing library statistics and budget preparation; identifying new strategies for maximizing results, and reporting this information to staff and upper management.
- Providing professional-level reference, bibliographic and reader’s advisory assistance.
- Keeping informed of professional developments; attending professional meetings.
- Developing, participating, and performing special activities and other duties as required or assigned.
Please visit our website at www.richlandlibrary.com/careers for further details.
- ALA accredited Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree. Transcripts must be presented upon hire.
- Eligible for or hold South Carolina Certification.
- One year of satisfactory professional library experience in library of recognized standing after receiving the degree.
- Valid driver’s license with safe driving record.
- Ability to perform job functions.
APPLY IMMEDIATELY at https://rcpl.munisselfservice.com/employmentopportunities. No deadline is presently established for this Vacancy. Applications being accepted now. When a deadline is determined, the deadline will be announced 24 hours in advance on the Library’s website.
Please do not send your resume/cover letter separately; only materials submitted through our online system are reviewed. All applicants must submit an online employment application using our online system. In addition to the online application, you may also attach your resume and/or cover letter; but the resume and/or cover letter will not be acceptable as an alternative to completing the online application fully. Keep in mind that if you are applying for multiple positions, you will need to submit an application for each position.